Over on Football Fancast a writer named Tom Costello took it upon himself to draw up a list of what United fans want for Christmas.
I had a read and I must say there were some that I disagreed with, I think there are a number of things we could do with and without that were included and weren’t included on that list so let me have a little go (I’ve been a good boy I promise).
1. Sell Wes Brown: I’d rather we didn’t actually! Wes may not be the player he was in 07/08 but with the number of injuries he has had who would be? I’d have him as a solid back up option to Rafael any day and definitely would take him ahead of O’Shea and Neville but again that’s just me!
2. Gigi Buffon: Really? The same Buffon who hasn’t played since the World Cup due to injury? At 32, Buffon is relatively young for a keeper and no one can deny he is still one of the best between the sticks but and this is a BIG but, how many injuries has he picked up in the past few years?
A bad back is an injury that won’t get better with age so why not spend less money on a younger keeper? Dunno just makes sense to me, maybe I’m the one that’s crazy?!
3. An away win: Would be nice especially with Chelsea coming up but meh top of the league with a game in hand, 2 points ahead of Arsenal & City and 3 ahead of Chelsea says we aren’t doing too bad. Our away form does need to improve but at the mo it isn’t a huge concern plus Stoke fans seem to hate us so it must stick in their craw that they are the only team we have beat away in the league this term.
Now for what I want!
4. Give youth a chance: We have some good youngsters, obviously we are out of the Carling Cup and the league is still finely balanced despite our position but I would like to see some of these guys get a chance. Rafael has benefitted from a run in the team, Welbeck is looking great with some games under his belt at Sunderland and Cleverley is looking good now he is getting games at Wigan so why not?
5. Return to form of Jonny Evans: He’s going through a rough patch right now but he is young and learning. A bit of confidence will do wonders for his game and it takes one good performance to get that. There has been talk of a loan move and if that is what it takes then so be it.
6. Creativity in the middle of the pitch: Scholes is still the pass master and putting younger lads to shame but he is on a strict time schedule and we can’t hold onto him forever (I’m still willing to under go any body swap experiment that will see him get another 10-15 years, nobody will miss me not even my own family!). Anderson has been stepping up recently but he offers something different to Scholes with his direct running and energy compared to Scholes’ sweet passing and knack for getting the goals. Anderson can pass but his range is nothing like Scholes’ (really though whose is?) and his passing doesn’t always come off.
7. #19: This one is rather self explanatory, every fan wants to win their league but as one of our readers, Jonathan, pointed out amidst all the doom and gloom that has surrounded the club on and off field we aren’t actually doing too bad. People expected us to crash and burn once Tevez and Ronaldo left and they felt these claims were vindictaed with Chelsea pipping us to the title even though it was by the grand sum of one point so what better why to shut these people up by winning the league whilst still ‘not playing well’ ?