David Moyes has confirmed that Manchester United chief exec Ed Woodward flew back to England in an attempt to sign Cesc Fabregas, and that United are waiting for Barcelona’s response to a second bid.
Manchester United had an initial bid of £25m rejected by Cesc’s club but returned with an improved offer on Saturday. The new bid is thought to be in the £30m region with add ons that will see the fee rise to around £35m.
Whilst Barcelona have declared the player is not for sale, a fee in that region is said to be what Barcelona are seeking before agreeing to allow the player to leave. It’s been reported that whilst Cesc wants to remain at Barcelona, but if Barcelona agree to let him go he has no problem moving to United.
Speaking on United’s pursuit of the former Arsenal captain in Japan, Moyes said:
“As I understand it, Ed had a response [to the first offer]. We have made a second offer but Ed is dealing with it rather than me.”
At the beginning of the summer a move for Cesc seemed impossible, but is now looking more feasible. Having had a first bid rejected, a second bid would only have been lodged if it had been invited. So perhaps talk of Barcelona having a specific figure that they would want United to reach before selling is true?